M/V THE VICTORIA
‘THE magnificent victoria’
The Victoria, originally named ‘Dunnottar Castle’, was one of three former Union-Castle Line ships operated by Chandris Lines. After 22 years of service with Union-Castle she had been bought by ‘Incres Line’ in 1958 and re-named Victoria. Steaming out of New York harbour she became a fast favourite and years later, in 1975, Chandris Lines bought her to cannibalise for spare parts. Before dismantling could commence it became apparent that Vicotria was a very fine ship deserving of her own role in the Chandris fleet. Therefore she set to sea again proudly bearing Chandris’ blue funnel and white cross. In a bizarre twist she had been named the ‘M/S The Victoria’, with ‘the’ being clumsily painted on her bow before ‘Victoria’. In this capacity she served way up until 1993 when she was once again sold and re-named before being finally scrapped in 2004.
TONNAGE: 14,9174 GRT
MAX SPEED: 20 KN
This illustration of 'The Victoria' was completed in February 2019 by Michael C Brady and involved around 40 hours of drawing. Original plans and high-definition photographs were studied in order to maintain authenticity.
Dimensions: 1000mm x 390mm, 300DPI